Alison Jardine ~ Résumé
Click here to download a two-page PDF of Alison Jardine’s Résumé
At the edge of representation we find the patterns that comprise the underlying structures, colors, and light available to our biological and intellectual process of vision. My artistic process embraces the experience of nature through its light, forms and color not only as a visual pattern but also as a memory in time. Our memories are stored in our neural networks, altered by the narrative that we construct about our lives, as well as by the tendency of memories to fade; today, our memories and many of our experiences of the world are filtered through the lens of the digital media upon which it is stored.
My oil paintings engage with the negative space of composition as a central motif, whether the inorganic pixel or the organic shape of sunlight on leaves, a counterpart to the colors and and forms of my pattern-based artworks. These “gaps” suggest the data lost through pixelation or compression, or the decline of memory and the loss of their context. My process includes a progression between works in each series that moves an image ever closer to complete entropic decomposition.
My fascination with nature and light began among the dappled sunlight of the ancient forests of Yorkshire and the clear blue, wide-open wilderness of the Moors where I was born and grew up, and this forged my visual and artistic identity. I now live and work in hot, sunny Texas with its intense, bright light that coaxes brilliant colors and highly contrasted shadow from the creeks and trees it envelops.
Any artist’s work reflects their own environment, and mine exists exactly where I do: within nature, and inevitably within the digital media that surrounds us, and both these worlds are formed from light, the unifying motif of my artworks.
Alison Jardine, 2012
Alison’s work has been featured on television on CBS, and was part of the UK’s cultural olympiad of art events; she has written articles for art magazines, presented talks about aspects of art, taught art in public schools, and has managed art shows and events for a non-profit art organization.
She has exhibited locally, nationally, and internationally, and completed a public art piece on Henderson Avenue in Dallas (2011-2013). Her work is in the collections of institutions such as University of Wyoming, businesses such as Select Energy, and individual collectors around the world. In 2009, she won an art competition that awarded free studio space in Dallas.
She works out of her studio at the Continental Gin Building in Deep Ellum, Dallas.
2013 – Artist in Residence, Dallas Arboretum
2013 – Hambidge Artist in Residence (Georgia)
2013 - Selected by Sony to partner on creative projects
2012 – Featured on CBS 11 news and other stations around the US, after completing my 365-day iPad project
- My iPad art is also part of the UK’s London 2012 Cultural Olympiad
2011 – Winner of Henderson Art Project – selected by jury and public voting to place a public artwork on Henderson Avenue, in Dallas.
2010 – Grand Prize Winner – PAA’s Members’ show, and First Place in 2011 (juror Professor Luke Sides)
2009 – Grand Prize Winner of Art of Elan, which awarded both a cash prize and free studio & gallery space in Dallas
- Solo show ~ Luminarte Gallery, Dallas
- Dallas Arboretum – Residency project
- Hambidge Center, Georgia – Residency project
- April > Ilume Gallery, Dallas ~ Mod Artist Annual Group Show
Marilyn Biles, Kiki Curry, Dar Dowling, Alison Jardine, Joshua King, Bonny Leibowitz, Michael Christopher Matson, Michelle de Metz, Carmen Menza, Darby Nicole, Sonali Khatti, Ryan Messina, Nic Noblique, Don Parr, Omar Angel Perez, Ron Radwanski and Elle Schuster.
- April > Open Studio Weekend ~ all the artist studios in the Continental Gin Building, Deep Ellum, Dallas.
- Existentialism in Art ~ group show; Luminarte Gallery, Dallas.
- Hidden Dallas ~ partnering with Sony, Flavorwire and Flavorpill to photograph the Dallas Arts Scene.
- London 2012 Olympics: I created digital art as part of The LiveLive Project – inspired by London 2012 forming part of the uk’s cultural Olympiad. Find out more at their website: http://www.liveliveproject.com/
- “Sensation & Perception” by Professor Stephen Yantis features several of my artworks on the cover and frontispiece.
- Wrote & presented a talk to the Women’s Council of Dallas about new media in art.
- Continental Gin Open Studios ~ three-day Open Studios show featuring 40 artists’ studios. Deep Ellum, Dallas
- Fort Worth Civic Orchestra – Projected images of my artworks during their seasonal opening performance.
- Appointed Special Ambassador to the Lumen Prize for Digital Art.
- McKinney Avenue Contemporary ~ Member’s Show 2012 ~ Dallas, TX.
- 7×7 Project ~ Rising Gallery, Dallas. June. Collaboration between seven artists.
- 500XPO ~ 500X gallery, Dallas. Annual juried show ~ juror Aaron Parazette
- 125 Show, The ARTs Gallery, Plano, TX ~ juried by artist Ryder Richards and Valley House gallery’s Laura Green.
- Twitter Art Show ~ Moss, Norway
- Lytle Pressley Gallery, Austin (Austin Art Connections) ~ “Goldilocks” group show.
- Chair of the PAA’s juried 125 Show; exhibit in March 2012 at the ARTS Gallery in Plano.
- Open Salon Show ~ group show ~ Kettle Arts, Deep Ellum, Dallas.
- Incrementum ~ charitable group show to support Alley’s House ~ Rising Gallery, Dallas.
- Ro2 Art Holiday Show ~ Ro2 Uptown Gallery, Mckinney Ave, Dallas.
- iPad 365 Project – completed 365 iPad drawings over the course of one year. This project has been featured in art magazines, online magazines and art sites, as well as CBS television.
- Solo Show ~PixelNation ~ presented by Ro2 Art (December 2011) – read Press Release
- Ro2 Art Holiday Show ~ Ro2 Uptown Gallery, Mckinney Ave, Dallas.
- Six Summit Gallery, Ivoryton, CT ~ Juxtaposition group show. Juror: Alyssa Monks
- Bathhouse Cultural Center ~ 30th Anniversary show. Curator: Enrique Cervantes
- Artist’s Talk: Finding your Inner Voice and Unique Style as an Artist ~ ArtCentre of Plano
- Solo Show ~ PixelNation ~ ArtCentre of Plano, Plano, TX
- The McKinney Avenue Contemporary, Dallas, TX ~ Members’ show ~ Meltdown
- Galleri Urbane, Dallas, TX ~ Summer Show, featuring the work of ten artists
- SEEDs and Spare pArts fundraising auctions (Dallas)
- PAA’s 125 Show – I co-Chaired and co-organized this juried exhibit for North Texas artists
- Solo Show ~ Intermittent Light ~Laura Moore Fine Art, McKinney, TX
- Public artwork ~ Henderson Avenue, Dallas ~ my work was chosen by public and jury voting to be placed outdoors for a two-year period, 2011 to 2013. You can visit this piece by driving north on Henderson Avenue, from Ross, in Dallas. My work is situated before you reach Glencoe Road, on the right.
- The Art Gallery at the Courtyard Theatre – Plano – Group Show of four artists’ work – “Wild At Heart”
- Artscape at the Dallas Arboretum ~ Juried Fine Art Fair
- Ugallery Paperwork Artshow ~ San Fransisco
- 42nd PAA Members’ Show ~ ArtCentre of Plano (winner – First Place) Juror: Prof. Luke Sides
- K Space Contemporary (Corpus Christi, TX) ~ Third Coast National ~ Juror: Trenton Doyle Hancock.
- Xue Contemporary Gallery, Design District, Dallas (Irving Blvd.) ~ group exhibit, Mind Rules Matter
- Bath House Cultural Center (White Rock Lake, Dallas, TX) ~ Día de los Muertos ~ Juried show. Juried by Bath House Curator Enrique Fernández Cervantes.
- Twitter Art Show ~ Moss, Norway (group show organized over twitter, to raise money for children’s books for a library)
- Art Conspiracy, Dallas TX
- Co-Chair and Co-Organizer of the Multicultural Art Show in Plano, TX (Plano Art Association
- The MAC (Mckinney Avenue Contemporary, Dallas) Members’ show
- Studio2Gallery, in Austin, TX ~ “Poet Tree”, juror Tina Weitz
- Affordable Art Fair, Manhattan, New York. Presented by ugallery.com.
- The Arts Gallery, Plano, TX ~ PAA’s 125 Show ~ Juried Exhibition
- Judged the Art of Santa Monica (Elan) competition in Santa Monica, CA, USA.
- The LLoyd Gill Gallery, UK. Invited to be key exhibitor at a group show titled ‘Contemporary Translation in Suprematism‘
- Pearl @ Commerce in Dallas ~ Group show: “Art & Toys” an invitational one-day art & music event at the , featuring 12 local artists.
- Artscape at the Dallas Arboretum, March 20 to 21st ~ Juried Fine Art Fair
- Solo Show – New Works. This launched the Jardine Studio Gallery on Northwest Highway in Dallas
~ this show and free gallery space was part of the Grand Prize for winning the Elan Art competition.
- Elan Art contest ~ Grand Prize Winner
- Plano Art Association 41st Annual Members Show, Grand Prize Winner
- Invitational Show: The Best of 2009, TVAA Gallery at the Downtown Gallery
- Art Conspiracy, Charity Art, Auction & Music Event, Dallas
- Grandon Gallery, AZ ~ group show “Twitter 140″
- TVAA’s Downtown Gallery, Pearl St, Dallas TX ~ curated art show “The Self Portrait: Who Are You?”
- 44th McKinney Art Festival ~ juried exhibition ~ prize winner
- Artists Showplace, Dallas, TX ~ juried exhibition (portrait)
- Upstream Gallery Ninth Annual Faces Exhibition ~ juried exhibition
Recent Features & Interviews
- Television feature by CBS 11 about my iPad art was also shown on networks across the US (June, 2012)
- the Lumen Prize for Digital Arts featured my art as notable on their site
- Featured by arts writer Michael Granberry in the Dallas Morning news, December 19 and December 23, 2011.
- Press release for PixelNation in Dallas
- Wrote article for Janet Vanderhoof’s blog about my 365-iPad project
- Featured on Pattern Pulp, a connective design & trend website
- Presented a talk about finding your unique voice as an artist, ArtCentre of Plano, Plano, TX.
- Wrote article for Digital Artist magazine: Introduction to Abstraction ( pub. July 14, 2011)
- Digital Artist magazine ran an article in issue 20 about my iPad 365-day project
- Artist A Day
- Muses Magazine
- Press release about solo show at Laura Moore Fine Art ~ Read the Press Release
- “A Voice in the Wilderness” ~ feature in Culturazzi online magazine
- Press Release about Third Coast National show at K Space Contemporary
- JR Compton of Dallas Arts Revue reviewed my piece (“On the Edge” 8″ x 10″ oil on canvas”) for the Mckinney Avenue Contemporary show….
“…it works. Simple. Colorful. There’s an odd depth that flits from light and medium to dark and back that never once interfered with my seeing. Like the subject has slipped the surely bonds of pseudo-realism, splashed through a little high color contrast abstraction, then eases back into whatever’s left. Artist’s reality.”
- I was featured as one of 20 artists to watch in 2010 on twitter
- Personal interview by Pioneer Productions
- Artist feature on Sennelier’s website (venerable supplier of paints to the Impressionists)
- Article about my work in Escape into Life, online art journal.
- Full-page article in Face of Chelmsford culture magazine (UK). Read more…
- Featured on the front cover The Art Guide, February 2010.
- Featured in National Post (Canada) article about the G8 Postcards Exhibit.
- Featured in Poets & Artists self-portrait edition (Fall, 2009)
- Elan Art Prize Winner Press Release